Congleton Sustainability Group Meeting took place recently, read the meeting minutes HERE.
The Old Saw Mill.
Virtually sold out of 2018 Apple Juice, had a best-ever day at Rode Hall last week.
Nearly time for 2019 harvest and production, Schedule:- Mon finish collecting, Tues juicing, Wed bottling. Production will be split between Juice and Cider.
Vale Allotments – (VAGA) Report as circulated.
The reinstatement and development of Vale Allotments have been progressing well over the last twelve months and listed below are some of the key points:
1. All available plots have been taken and there is a waiting list at the time of writing of about 10 applicants. Twice yearly inspections are carried out to ensure plots are maintained to a good standard.
1. The VAGA committee has met regularly and has a full set of officers: Chair, Secretary, Membership Secretary and a further committee member
1. The retaining stone wall at the top of the site has now been repaired (paid for by relevant Moody Terrace residents) and drainage pipes installed along its base. The work was carried out in liaison with VAGA and the site restored to a good condition when the work was finished.
1. Portions of plots affected by the building work have now been reallocated for cultivation.
1. Two full plots have been out of use for a long period due to the building work and other factors and we now need to prepare these for use
1. A number of successful working parties have been held on Sunday mornings and it’s been very encouraging to see so many plot holders helping out with tasks in shared areas of our site. New fencing has been erected, paths improved and our orchard tidied. The communal shed is well used. The fencing work was funded by Congleton Green Space Trust
1. The project involving Marlfields School did not develop due to concerns about the wall repairs. Marlfields have now developed allotments on their own site.
1. A Duke of Edinburgh award scheme student will be restoring and developing the pond and seating area near the shed over the summer
1. Fruit from our orchard will be donated to the Old Saw Mill
1. We raised £100 from our stall at Congleton Food Fair in June
1. Bulk seed buying by plot holders raised further funds.
1. We have continued to have informal social evenings at local pubs.
1. Gladman development off Waggs Road
The development off Waggs Road has returned this time submitted by Gladman. This is the third time this development has been submitted, the first in 2013 was refused by CEBC and was subsequently dismissed at appeal (a decision which was upheld at Judicial Review), the second in 2017 was again refused by CEBC but was not taken to appeal.
One, if not the key issue in the refusal of both the previous applications was on the grounds of road safety. PM is currently drafting a response on behalf of CSG objecting on road safety, highway capacity and sustainable travel grounds. As this is a lengthy technical response and responses from others are dealing with other matters it is proposed that our response should be confined to these matters only, can the Group please confirm this approach at the next meeting and also approve the draft response. The closing date for responses is 15th August.
The group were fully supportive of Peter’s response. MS to advise Peter of this.
2. Planning applications
PM continues to review the weekly list of planning applications from CEBC but since the Local Plan has been adopted, other than the Waggs Road development detailed above, there has been little to concern CSG.
Next Meeting:- Tuesday 3rd September, The Old Saw Mill, 6.30pm Note the new time!