Congleton Youth Forum

Congleton Youth Forum met recently, full meeting minutes HERE.

 

Highlights include:

Update from members.

 

New Life Church (Jeff Cutts) Working with Town Mayor (Charles Booth) on developing young people “Mad For Congleton”. This will be over a weekend next spring (April). Jeff would welcome support from our forum members. MS will send out a copy of Jeff’s presentation.

Congleton Partnership. (Steve Foster) Steve concerned about representation form the two secondary schools on this forum. We now appear to have a representative from EBA ( Liz Griffen) but nobody from CHS. Jeff Cutts to raise this with CHs on Wed 15th (Linda Franks/ Sarah Jeffs)

Glen to write directly to D.Hermitt and Steve to raise the issue of lack of representation with Richard Benson school governor.

 

CEBC Youth Support Services ( June Maddock) A good number of young people received their  Duke of Edinburgh Awards at Summer camp (29th July to 6th Aug)

 

Had a great day at Handforth involving young people from across Cheshire East. Various workshop covering subjects like Prison (using a mini cell),Grooming, Drugs, Gangs, Stabbings etc. This was a very successful day. June would like to see something like this in Congleton (Visyon,NLC).

 

November is Children’s Rights Month, we have a number of young people working presentations which will be recorded on video for future use.

 

Visyon – Laura Whitaker. Laura reported that the summer programme went well.  The new winter programme is now operative , visiting both high schools to promote this.

 

Drop Ins now operating from 3.30 to 5.00pm Tues/Wed/Thurs, open to all young people, they can just turn up, it is a safe place with use of equipment.

 

PCSO / Cheshire Police – Amie Gillett. Amie reported that currently the Macclesfield Prince’s Trust programme is not running. Hoping to start in early 2018, if you have anyone wishing to take por please contact Amie direct.

 

 

Everybody Sports and Leisure ( Keith Rogers) Keith commented on the growth in youth activity now being delivered by Everbody. This has risen from 13 youth sessions 18 months ago to now 38. These will be advertised on the website www.everybody.org.uk

We cold do with more activity in Congleton, Keith will discuss these at the site, looking for school holiday/ half term programme.

 

 

Youth Fed – Jeremy Kent. Jeremy works part time and will not normally be able to attend all of the meetings. Currently working on a live porthole to communicate with Youth Groups and working with Cheshire Youth United (Uniformed Groups) to support groups with their aims.  MS to contact Jeremy to see what support Youth Fed can offer in terms of workshop / presentation delivery. Also can they deliver some projects working in conjunction with Visyon.

 

 

Mental Health Substance Misuse- PB Funded Project.

 

Glen’s email prior to meeting.During the last 18 months we have focussed our involvement to get a much better understanding of the emotional health issues and the substance misuse issues affecting the youth in the town and developing ideas to address these in a sustained, effective and community involvement way. These ideas have been as a result of engagement of, developed and will be coproduced by youth engagement professionals, young people, emergency services, schools and youth provision.

The purpose of our project is to:-

Raise awareness and reduce the stigma of mental health in young people.

Highlight the negative effects of substance misuse including drugs and alcohol, especially legal highs on their health and emotional well-being.

Provide young people with details of a range of support available in relation to these issues.

The project funding received as part of the Cheshire East Council’s participatory budget process will enable the following solutions to be delivered:-

Presentations to school year groups and youth groups on mental health.

 Substance misuse detached work with youth workers in known hot spot areas. (June and Amie)

 Production and distribution of essential helpline numbers and key facts. (CHS discuss with J.Money)

 Health and wellbeing counsellor appointment to go into schools. (Visyon – Laura)

 Mental health signs, what to look out for workshop – student leaders –

what can be done, what support available?  (Discuss with Jane Commins)

 Drug awareness day focussed around legal highs.(Youth Committee / MP?)

 Promote positive alternatives which provide access to wellbeing opportunities – sports clubs, youth clubs, uniformed groups, healthy exercise. (40 things to do in Congleton – reprint? / half day Leisure Centre – school holidays)

After discussing the above it was felt that we need to take certain actions:-

1.     Get the schools engaged in accepting the offer of support/activity.

2.     Allocate parts of the programme to Forum Members to take responsibility to deliver.

Glen to resend the project and funding detail to the group.

Some responsibilities were allocated on the day and are indicated in RED within Glen’s email, others will need discussion with various individuals, schools, service providers.

Need to hold another meeting prior to Xmas, Wed 6th and 13th December possible will confirm a.s.a.p

A.O.B

No further issues discussed.

Next Meeting.

 

December 2017 tbc.

 

Meetings will be held 4 times a year and alternate between Tues / Wed and both secondary schools.

 

Senior Health & Wellbeing Fayre – Friday 29th September.

As part of celebrating International Day of Older Persons, Congleton Partnership along with its partners Connected Communities Cheshire East and Cheshire Community Action organised a Senior Health & Wellbeing Fayre in Congleton Town Hall.

The event was attended by more than 60 residents and supported by 36 exhibitors. It covered four key subjects of The Community, Technology & Finance, Winter Wellbeing and Health. All 4 elements were well support with great advice, information leaflets, freebies and in some cases free to attend workshops.

Practical sessions included ITea and Chat, Talk on Scams and how to recognise them and a session on how to become a dementia friend.
Everyone there enjoyed the free tea and cakes and in some cases took the opportunity to socialise with other residents well after the event had finished.

Next year we may well look to combine the event with a Macmillan Coffee Morning as the two activities fall on the same week.

Senior Health Fair Congleton

Mike Smith

ms@congletontowncouncil.co.uk

Congleton Dementia Friendly Steering Group meeting minutes

Congleton Dementia Friendly Steering Group 2nd meeting took place recently, the full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:

Goals for Dementia Friendly Congleton.

Claire Halsey suggested that we should look to set ourselves some goals to target and work towards.

Goals.
1. Aspiration for 100% of the general population to become Dementia Aware by:-
(a) Friends awareness sessions –Currently we have a number of sessions organised, CTC 30th Nov, 6th & 7th Dec.
Museum Sat 2nd Dec 11.00am ans Sun 3rd Dec 2.30pm
(b) Champions workshop, Jess to set one up for 1st Qtr 2018.
(c) Publicity. D.Ritherdon to kick this off using The Chronicle, PCSO to support through social media.
(d) Video online – can give a first taste of Dementia Friends and may be a good way for larger companies to get the message across to their staff.

2. Events / Activities x 4 regular per month.
Members to come to the December meeting with ideas/ proposals of activities they can do on a regular basis(Weekly, Fortnightly or Monthly)
Irregular Activity. Cotton Club, Kings Arms have shown some interest.
Leisure Centre- Mixed changing. MS to discuss with Maria Tatters at Congleton Leisure Centre.

 

Next Meeting:-
Tuesday 12th December, 2.00pm, Old Saw Mill.

Congleton Sustainability Group meeting minutes 06.11.17

Congleton Sustainability Group meeting minutes, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:

Dane Valley Community Energy.
No real change from the last meeting. Still waiting for wall renovation to take place.
Issue around Derwent Engineering and when they would be able to commit to the work. Still hoping for Spring 2018 but could be more like Spring 2019.
Community Share drive will be dependent on the above time table.
Extraction permissions have been sent to the Environment Agency, full planning application should go in by the end of the year.
Next newsletter should be out soon.

 

Neighbourhood Plan.
Monday 13th November is the last day of the 6 week consultation process. The steering group will then meet to discuss the results of the consultation and add anything significant before forwarding to Cheshire East to prepare for the Regulation 15 stage.
The final stage to adoption will be a public referendum. This completed document will include a delivery plan of actions which will help some of our long term project planning.

 

The Old Saw Mill .
Café. This is going very well and showing a 600 to 700% on last year when first opened. More staff have been taken on both paid and volunteers.
PR /Events. Harriet is working towards her NVQ Level 3 and making great progress getting our message out to the general public with some god turnouts resulting for our recent activities.
Partnership. PA wished to record OSM’s thanks to The Partnership for its financial support in the extra power sockets and equipment required to meet our energy demands with all that is now going on at the centre.
AJ, Cider & Vinegar/ CSG relationship. PA /DJ reported on the substantial growth in both production and overheads since taking the drink production in house. The upfront purchasing of bottles, labels and various pieces of equipment that was previously the responsibility of the outsourced juicer has had to be met by OSM. Two directors have loaned the OSM close on £5000 which will need to be paid back through sales/ 2017/18 profits.
Once this has been completed then an agreement will need to be reached between OSM & CSG on the level of profit that should go towards future operating costs and towards CSG projects. PA, DJ & PR are working on a paper which will lead to a PENCE per bottle agreement (30p/40p) which will then be annually negotiated.
CSG will need to draw up a list of potential projects (possible ideas drawn for the emerging NH Plan) which can then be made public and meet our community promise to use AJ to improve our environment.
Storage for the product is an issue, the Community Store at The Park has no space available, if anyone is aware of places that may be of use please let the production team know.
DJ shared a recording document with the group. This shows production Volumes, Dates and Batch Codes by Product on one spreadsheet, with Sales by Batch Code, Type and Quantity on another. This will be vital information for various reasons as the “business” grows and accurate stock and sales figures become a requirement.

 

Green space / In Bloom – P.Pinto.
MG. Major successes for Congleton In Bloom, with Gold and Best Small Town in the North West, which once again puts us into the Britain In Bloom National Competition. So plenty of new ideas and commitments for 2018. PA stated that The Rossendale Trust involvement at OSM may offer an opportunity for work with them on improving the environment in the around the area local to OSM.

 

Next Meeting:-
Mon 4th December 2017 , The Old Saw Mill ,10.00am

Senior Forum Meeting Minutes 17.10.17

The Senior Forum meeting took place recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

 

Highlights include:

One You Cheshire East – Johnny Gorman.

 

Johnny has taken over as the One You CE person that now covers Congleton. Currently they operate 8 x 12 week programmes that can be accessed online. Congleton Leisure Centre is currently running a 12 week exercise programme which on completion will offer the opportunity of reduced price ongoing membership.

The re-shape weight loss course has yet to be offered in Congleton- this is directed to healthy eating.

Full programme is available on http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/livewell/health-matters/keeping-well/one-you-cheshire-east/one-you-cheshire-east.aspx

 

Peter and Johnny to discuss about how to action this at The Old saw Mill.

 

 

Dementia- Helping Congleton become dementia friendly.

Steering Group now formed to drive this project forward. Chair S.Rathbone, Deputy Chair L.Alcock.

Meeting planned for 4th October cancelled next meeting planned for 8th November (2 to 4pm The Old Saw Mill).

Items for discussion and action included:-

Drop In’s which offer Activity for The Person with Dementia and a moment to relax over tea and cake for the Carers. (issue raised at July Dementia Awareness Day)

Dementia Friends briefing for Town Council staff and councillors

Dementia Awareness for business.

Dementia in its widest form now affects over 850,000 people and it is projected that by 2020 that figure will be well over 1 Million. This will be our most important project over the coming months.

 

Senior Health & Wellbeing Fayre 29.9.17

Around 60 members of the public attended the event which was somewhat hamper by the very poor weather at the beginning and a clash with a lot of local Macmillan coffee morning activity. We need to look at timing for future events, hold it later in the day or change the date completely.

It was felt that we should keep the format, it was well supported by service providers, the talks were well received but not as well attended as we would have liked (Scamming and Dementia worth keeping).

The group thanked Alyssa for all the excellent work she had done driving this project and wished this to be recorded in the minutes.

Sub group for next years’ event to be formed around Easter.

 

Meeting Finished at:4.17pm

 

Next Meeting:- Tuesday 9th January, Spencer Suite 3 to 5pm.

 

E-MILL NEWSLETTER 12th October 2017

Hello Subscribers!
All replies to this eMill will be going to Harriet, not Peter Aston. If you need to contact Peter directly his details are at the bottom of this email. Many Thanks!

Firstly a huge thank you is in order, to all the lovely people who attended our Macmillan Coffee Morning and helped us raise £142.05 for the fantastic cause! We had lots of fun playing Cake Bingo; Peter did a brilliant job as our bingo caller, I think he’s in the wrong job! Thank you also to everyone who made something delicious for us, I’m happy to say there were only crumbs left by the end of the day!

I’d like to please draw your attention to just some of our upcoming events:

Halloween Party – Tuesday 31st October
All ages are welcome, there will be plenty of games for everyone to enjoy, and delicious food included in the price of the ticket. There will be apple bobbing (of course), pumpkin painting, sweetie hunt, and much more!

Christmas Craft Fair – Saturday 11th November
We will be holding this event upstairs, anyone wishing to have a stall please reply to this email with details of what you’d like to sell and how much space you need. We are asking £10 per table, and anyone is welcome to come and sell anything they’ve made.

To see what other exciting things are happening in the coming weeks please look at the Events Section of this newsletter!

Until the end of October we have a slot in the Bags for Help scheme at Tesco. Please next time you’re in either of the Tesco stores in Congleton, ask for a blue token at the checkout and put it in our box. Winning will give us £4000 which will go into making our hub even better at supporting our community.

There are a few items we still need to ask you for, including book shelves, a cabinet suitable for storing children’s toys and books, and shelving units or cupboards. If you aren’t sure if you have something suitable then just pop in with a photo of you item, or send a photo of it to our Facebook page or email address so we can tell you if we can make use of it! We would also like to ask for old photos of Congleton that we can display around The Old Saw Mill.

We desperately want more volunteers to help in our cafe so if you can spare even just a couple of hours one day a week to do some washing up or waiting on, we’d be very grateful. The pay will be free membership, excellent company, and delicious free food! It’s hard to say no really! 

CHRISTMAS
It never hurts to be too organised! We are now taking booking for Christmas lunches, please contact Harriet for a menu; you can directly reply to this email or pop into our cafe and ask for her.  We will be offering lunches from December 11th, and will be open until 7pm for bookings. We promise we’ll hold off on the Christmas music for a while yet……

 

 

Thank you to all those people who have been bringing apples to the Old Saw Mill and Astbury Mere, please keep up the hard work! We are also able to collect donations of apples from you if you are unable to bring them yourself for any reason. Pick up days will be on Tuesdays unless arranged otherwise.

We are bottling the cider from last year’s apples and also apple juice from this year’s harvest, as you have hopefully seen from the videos and pictures on our social media pages! This is for sale in the café at £2.50 per bottle.

We’re beginning to find businesses in the town who are willing to sell the juice or cider on our behalf. So if you have a business in town and would also like to sell our product please contact any of the numbers at the bottom of the newsletter.

Given that we are increasing our production as the apple harvest is more plentiful this year, we are anticipating having some storage issues. If anyone can offer us a place to store our bottled cider and apple juice, for example a storage unit or garage, we would be very happy to hear from you. Please contact Dewi Jones on 07554 990403 if you think you can help us!

 

 

Members offer this month is our freshly bottled apple juice or cider for just £1! As well as the usual 10% member discount on food & room hire.

Have you joined yet? If not follow the link to download or call into The old Saw Mill for an application form.

 

 

 

DISCOVER PILATES
Every Monday, 4:30 – 5:30, 5:45 – 6:45, or 7:00 – 8:00.
This is run as a 6 week course, and costs £30 per person. For more information contact Alison: 07798 555458 or on the website.

CRAFTING
Every Thursday 7 – 9pm.
We can provide supplies for making all kinds of things, so whether you’re a pro card maker or fancy coming along to develop a new skill, we will have anything you need! Alternatively please bring along any projects you have already!

MUM’S BUMPS AND BABIES
Every Friday, call in anytime:
Come for a chat, tea and cakes.
Mum’s, Toddlers and a story – if there’s enough little ones we’ll read a story and entertain them for a bit while mum’s can enjoy a snack!

DARSHAN WITH DHYAN
Saturday 21st October and then every other Saturday:
10.30am – 12.00pm. Donations £5 + (nobody turned away!) There will be Meditation, Silence, Sharing, Satsang, and Darshan. For more details call Dhyan on 07807 044908 or on her Facebook page.

KNIT AND KNATTER GROUP
Every Tuesday 2pm – 4pm
Come and join the group, bring any wool and knitting needles you have and enjoy a good natter! We also have wool and needles here for anyone who doesn’t have their own! We are currently encouraging people to knit Robins if they want an easy project that can be displayed in our cafe.

COOKING FROM SCRATCH
Starts Friday 27th October.
This is a course of three sessions, completely free, suitable for complete beginners and those with more experience. All are welcome from age 19+.
More info can be found here.

Life Modelling Art Sessions
Saturday 14th Oct & then every other Saturday 11am – 1pm.
Professional and amateur artists are welcome, there will be male and female models available. For more details or to book a space please contact Angie: 07789687428 or congleton.life.art@gmail.com

WOMEN’S CIRCLE WITH DHYAN
Once a month. The first being Friday 20th Oct 10:30 – 13:00.
More information can be found here. Sessions are £8.

 

 

HALLOWEEN / TUESDAY 31ST OCTOBER 16:30 – 20:00
£4 in advance or £5 on the door. 

Food will be provided, please let us know if you have a dietary requirement. All ages welcome. There will be Pumpkin Painting a sweetie hunt, Apple Bobbing and much more fun activities! there will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for the best fancy dress, so many sure you have a fantastic costume!

CARIBBEAN NIGHT/  FRIDAY 3RD NOVEMBER 18:30 – 21:00
£8 Per Person
The first of many monthly themed nights! We would like to invite you to enjoy authentic Caribbean food, music and rum punch! Please respond to this email, contact the facebook page or let a member of staff know if you’d like to book a table.

MONTHLY GIFT
Every Wednesday between 10am and 11am:
Congleton Woman’s Forum invite women to receive their monthly gift, contact Sue Munro on 07534 510841.

 

 

Kind Regards,
Harriet and the Team

Contacting us:
We hope this newsletter is reaching everyone but if you would like to contact us here are a few methods:-
Facebook:- www.facebook.com/OldSawMill 
General E-mail:- co-op@theoldsawmill.org
Direct E-mail and phone for Bookings, Events & Newsletter: – harriet@theoldsawmill.org and 01260 277658
Direct E-mail for Volunteers, Buildings, Development and Maintenance: -peterjranson@btinternet.com and 07717003847
Direct E-mail for Marketing: jonesdewi@hotmail.co.uk and 07554990403

Congleton Sustainability Meeting Minutes 02.10.17

Congleton Sustainability group meeting took place recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

 

Highlights include:

Geothermal Energy in the Cheshire Basin – D.Griffiths.

Dan took us through a presentation on the science and possible benefits of geothermal energy. The Cheshire Basin has a huge resource, the same amount of energy of around 3 billion barrels of oil. Whilst Crewe sits in prime position to benefit the most there are also opportunities for Congleton and Macclesfield with heat network development stages indicated within the presentation. Temperature predictions within the base of the basin indicate a possible heat of 100C.

There is still a lot of work to be done, not least funding and partners, but if successful could result in extra jobs within Cheshire, cheaper fuel and a significant reduction in CO2. A copy of the presentation has been circulated to CSG members. Dan happy to come back to future meetings to keep us informed on progress of the project.

Item for the next agenda (Mon 6th November) Domestic Heating in the Country.

 

The Old Saw Mill.
Apple Juice / Cider / Cider Vinegar
A sheet indicating stock levels of the above was circulated at the meeting. Storage is becoming an issue and any help would be gratefully received.
DJ is visiting various businesses to try and build some regular business with them. Pricelist order form circulated at the meeting, MS raised the possibility of interest from McColls in Buglawton, DJ to follow up.

Apple waste is now being collected and used by an outlet in Somerford.
All products carry batch numbers, production and best before date information
DJ still to put together an options report on ownership etc.

 

Neighbourhood Plan.
Moved to Reg 14 today, sent out to around 700 consultees.
Copy of Jackie email for information:-
Just to let you know that we have just put the Congleton Draft Local Plan out on its Regulation 14 consultation. This lasts for 6 weeks (until the 13th November). It has been sent to 701 people who were either on the Cheshire East Council list of consultees or local Congleton groups which have expressed an interest in the plan.
A copy of the draft plan has been loaded onto the front of the Town Council Website and the My Congleton website.
Paper copies for reading at the premises have been given to the TIC and the library.
An article should be the main back page piece in the Chronicle tomorrow.
Once the comments are in the draft plan will be reviewed, changes made, then a second round of Regulation 15 consultation will take place where people can have their say.
Ultimately it there will be a referendum on whether or not to accept the plan – this is likely to take place in Spring 2018.

Next Meeting:-
Mon 6th November 2017 , The Old Saw Mill ,10.00am

Projects and Finance Committee Meeting Minutes 05.09.17

Congleton’s Projects and Finance Committee met recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

 

Highlights include:

Project Update – Cenotaph.
Community, Environment & Services Committee briefed on the project 6th July.
New design and costing estimate (£375k) issued.
Planning application 17/3982C now with CEBC (8.8.17) and supported by CTC Planning Committee (Aug 2017)
Next steps are Public Consultation / Briefing and sourcing Funding.
DMcG gong to HLF along with I Doughty (Museum) to gauge HLF views on the project and to try and get them to come to Congleton to see for themselves.
Funding. Will need to see what comes out of the HLF visit.
Public briefing will be included in the Great War Exhibition Event, Town Hall, Saturday 21st October 1030am to 4.00pm. Posters and flyers will be out first week in October.
Public Realm Strategy.
Work ongoing, Mill St should be open as planned. JMac concerned about traffic turning left off Mill St into the pedestrian area, GW has taken this up with CEBC.
J.Mac to approach CEBC re Xmas Tree support for this year as a gesture to the traders for what has been a difficult summer/autumn.
J.Mac to approach CEBC for a pictorial design to display around the town ans on the CTC website to give the public a better idea of what is planned.
Town Centre Regeneration (Fairground Site etc)
Possible need to re-establish the Town Centre Working Group, using the NH Plan – Town Centre. Delivery Plan as a guide.

Dementia Friendly Town.
Awareness Meeting held 26th July, 40+ attended.
Steering Group formed and met 30th Aug at OSM. 20 attendees, Sara Rathbone nominated as Chair.
Next Steering Group meeting 4th October, when we will discuss pledges/drop ins and activities.
CTC voted to support the initiative at CE & Services meeting Sept 2017.

 

 

Date and Time of the next meeting.
Monday 13th November The Spencer Suite, 9.30am.

New Dementia Friendly for Congleton steering group has first meeting!

Congleton Dementia Steering Group has had its first meeting. The aim of the group is to make Congleton a dementia friendly town. The full meeting minutes HERE. 

 

Highlights include:

1 Welcome & Apologies

 

Meeting was chaired by Sara Rathbone

 

Round Robin of introductions for new members and guests.  Link to DF ‘get involved’ DFC communities.  Guidance for becoming a Dementia Friendly Community to follow from Jessica McFall of Alzheimer’s Society (Dementia Coordinator for Cheshire East).

 

 

 

Apologies were received from :

Sandy Duffy, Jess Shore, Debbie Callow, Joanne Fishwick, Matt Steele

2. Minutes / Matters Arising from the last meeting.

 

There had been no previous meeting of the steering group only an Awareness Meeting held on 26th July which 40+ people attended, a number indicated their willingness to get involved with this steering group.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3. In the general preamble :- Sara suggested that small changes can make a big difference and it is not all about large projects

Margaret Butcher raised the issue of how we support the carers particularly out of hours.

Lisa Alcock advised all of a new Live Well Website that is being launched in October by Cheshire East. www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/livewell/livewell

Jo Hawkins also mentioned www.alzheimers.org.uk/local-information/dementia-connect

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Open Forum / Ideas / Activities.

Table Tennis

SR is now an Ambassador for Bat for Alzheimer’s charity (not part of Alzheimer’s Society).  This aims to bring table tennis into more settings to increase health and wellbeing for those living with dementia and also more widely within any care setting. They are looking for places to site and sponsor the tables. Included in any costs would be support to train volunteers to host table tennis sessions.

Claire Halsey from East Cheshire Hospice outlined their work with Carers and course available and also their new Dementia services. https://www.eastcheshirehospice.org.uk/dementia-care.

Memory Walks.

https://www.memorywalk.org.uk/find-a-walk/cheshire/

https://www.memorywalk.org.uk/organiseyourown/

Here is a link to the Cheshire Memory Walk for 2017.  We thought it might be good to organise a Congleton walk for 2018.  Here is the link.  Suggest putting on the agenda in early 2018 to gain support.  Or liaise with AS to have the Cheshire walk in Congleton?

Link to Dementia Friends sessions that people can book onto using their location to find them https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/WEBSession#.WdIllEyZOb8

Link to upcoming Dementia Champion session in Crewe that provide training to become a Champion and then able to offer Dementia Friends sessions within the community https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/WEBTrainingDetails?id=a050J00000UmBI2QAN&user_type=#.WdIm3kyZOb8

 

Next Meeting:-

Wednesday 4th October, 2.00pm, Old Saw Mill.

Congleton Sustainability meeting minutes 4.09.17

Congleton’s Sustainability meeting took place recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:

BF Geothermal report.

BF put together a short guide to geothermal ready for this meeting including suggested questions for Dan Griffiths prior to his visit 2nd October. These were circulated prior to the meeting.

Mention was also made of the article in The Chronicle (31.8.17) by Prof John Underhill (Shell Centre for Exploration Geoscience ,Heriot-Watt Univ, where he is of the opinion that Britain’s geology could be unsuitable for shale gas.
List of Questions to be sent to D.Griffiths:-
1. How do you know that there is potential for geothermal in Cheshire East? Which parts have the potential? Confirm that this is for district heating, not electricity.eothermal in Cheshire East? Which parts have the potential? Confirm that this is for district heating, not electricity.
2. What stage are you at now? What surveys, tests or research have been done, and with what results? (CE had DECC money for a feasibility study for a geothermal district heating scheme for Crewe town centre in 2015. Has that study reported?)
3. What do you intend to do now? For example what sort of schemes are planned, what areas will they serve, when will work start and when will it be completed. What will be the extent of the schemes e.g. number of houses, kilowatt hours or other appropriate units.
4. Who will develop the schemes? Cheshire East, arms length companies, independent operators….. ?
5. Who has the rights to geothermal resources (landowners, council, government…. ) and what permissions are required?
6. Would fracking be required to improve the flow of water through the heat bearing rocks? Why would this be any more friendly than fracking for gas?
7. Would the returning hot water be free of pollutants picked up from the hot rocks, and would there be any danger to users? For example from radioactivity or radon gas or other toxic substances?
8. Confirm that access to geothermal would not give CE any power to resist fracking for gas.
9. Please discuss the energy planning of Cheshire East, and the part played by geothermal.
MS send to D.Groffiths copy in D.Brown and G.Williams

 

Badger Cull in Cheshire.

Barry asked for this to be raised at the meeting following a report in The Chronicle (31.8.17)
Currently a decision on a cull has not been made according to Natural England, and it would appear that Wildlife activist are raising the issue as a potential threat. Cheshire police indicate that they have a plan in place should a licence for badger culling be granted in Cheshire.
It was decided that PA would write to the Chronicle to be seen to support Cheshire Wildlife Trust and their stance on the matter.

 

Next Meeting:-
Mon 2nd October 2017 The Old Saw Mill ,10.00am